SOFTBALL COACHES LONGEST DAY
SOFTBALL COACHES LONGEST DAY
YOU ONLY HEAR ABOUT THESE THINGS BUT YOU
ASK YOUR SELF DID IT REALLY HAPPEN?

Yes! I got up at 4.30 in the morning
to catch my plane at 7:00 am from Canberra to Sydney. My connecting flight
was at 9:00 am to Perth Australia a 4 and 1/2 hour journey. Put my phone on
airplane mode and was fully charged for when i got to Perth. As we flew
over the vast continent, I managed a 1/2 hour sleep and then woke up as I smelt the food going by, and breakfast of ham quiche and chicken
sausage, with a cup of tea was very good. When the cabin was cleared up I
decided to get up and stretch and get the circulation moving. On the
way back to my seat 15A I decided to get my camera out from the overhead
locker. Now this was when my longest day really started. I grabbed my
phone, and nearly dropped it as it was so hot. I sat down in my seat and
looked at the phone as I wanted to take some photos of the landscape as
it was getting drier and drier the closer we got to Perth. To
my surprise I only had 10 minutes of battery left. I took a few photos
and that finished the battery.
Arrived in Perth, went straight to Avis
where softball had a car booked for me. It
was 11.50 Perth time and I was to be at the ballpark by 12.00 to start
my selection duties to pick our National team. The lady was very polite
at the desk, when I asked if she had a car booked from Softball
Australia for Bob Harrow and I showed her my drivers license.
After
searching for 10 minutes she asked if I had a reservation number I said I
do but it is in my mobile and the battery is flat.
I remembered that
another selector John Whitefield was to have picked up the car, and
maybe it was in his name. There was no car in his name and she still
could not understand why Softball Australia's name did not come up.
Finally after a 1/2 hour she said I have a Bob Whitefield and I also see
Softball Australia booked this car. Hooray!!! for that, signed my name and
asked if she could give me a map as my apps in the phone had my talking
directions. Now she assured me the park was only 20 minutes away, I
picked up my luggage and headed for my car. I followed her directions
and did everything right but ended up at Mirrabooka Reserve which was
not the softball fields, I pulled into 3 places to ask directions and all
said they didn't live in these parts, only work here. Again I went to
grab my phone, but realized no use battery is dead. I finally found a BP
service station and a lady sitting in the back office heard me say
softball and said I take my daughter there to play. After a few minutes I
was on my way to the ballpark. Two hours later I have finally arrived
at the ballpark.
Missed the whole game, but managed to catch the opening
ceremonies and the last two games of the day.
It
couldn't happen again asked directions to where I was staying, my team
manager said you just go down the Reid Highway and turn left on North
Beach Road and the caravan park is only 100 meters on the left. You are
only 15 minutes away. I followed his directions and went up and down
North Beach Road but couldn't find the my home. Figured I will fix this
phone information and get their phone number. Dialed the number, got
the message that office hours are 8am to 6pm. so I phoned my son who had
checked in but was still at the ballpark. He got upset with me and said
its 367 North Beach Road. I told him I know its dark but there is no
367 North Beach Road, the numbers only go from 22 to 96. He asked if I
saw a Golf Course I said know but would look again. Another 20 mins went
by so I phoned again. They finally thought yea he is really lost. What
do you see and we will ask the locals to figure out where you are, I am
in front of North Beach School. Oh you must turn around and go the other
way till you come to Duffy Street turn right go to the round about and
you will see North Beach Road and the caravan park is 100 meters on the
left. Finally I thought i will soon be in bed. Down the road i went and
would you believe no numbers reached 367 but this time I saw a golf
course must be getting close. Phoned back to my son who really got upset
with me. I said i would go back and see if I missed some numbers. As I
got back to the round about i saw a sign and arrow on the tree pointing
to another North Beach Road. I took this road and sure enough 100 meters
down the road on the left was this beautiful big park, that can hold up
to 1000 people. They told me my key would be in the letter box. No key,
buzzed the night manager, and he was so kind and went and found a key,
gave me a pass code that opened the gate and took me to my cabin.
Finally home sweet home for the next 5 nights. Yes 20 hours later I
finally made it. Oh yes I will post the results of the games on my daily
report tomorrow but i do know, ACT our smallest state, is the team to
beat. Hope you enjoy this post and please leave any comments you have.
Thank-you for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment